July 12, 2007

I raced the Train... On a BIKE!!!

Seriously, I have to cross the tracks every day on my way to and from work on my bicycle and on the way back I happened to have a run-in with a train. It happened like this: The tracks are near the bottom of a very large hill so I approached them at full-speed, bouncing up and down on the saddle as I hit the bumps on the sidwalk. As I neared the tracks I heard the sound of an engine and realized that a train must be approaching. I slowed at first, but then noticed that the barriers weren't coming down so the train must not be near yet, or it was stopped; the crossing was just by a commuter train station, so trains often pause there near the crossing. I continued, but, just as I was crossing tracks I heard a loud horn bellow out, and the warning bells began to ring. The barriers came down just as I passed them and the train came roaring by behind me. I was able to stop at the bottom of the hill and watch it pass.

So, from now on, I'll be able to say that I once raced a train on a bicycle. I bet not many people can say that.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home