June 13, 2007

Of houses and foundations

I've taken to rising my bike to work again and had a little jolt thrown at me. I was riding home and as I approached the corner of Manassas Drive and whatever road that is that the Central Library is on, I noticed that it wasn't as shady as it was when I would go past it last year. I also didn't remember the huge concrete block sitting in the lot there. I looked a little harder and notice that the concrete block was somewhat house-shaped and surmised that it was the foundation of what used to be house. A moment later it hit me: There was a house there last summer! Someone tore down the house on the corner of the street! And, all the trees along with it!
I sat there for a moment in astonishment. Then the light changed and I crossed the street to the convenience store where I ordered a Gatoraid. I believe it was an orange Gatoraid. Gatoraid really is nice when you're hot and thirsty. I know I changed the subject but I really don't want to talk about the house anymore. God Bless.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ibid said...

Now that is blogging

6:36 AM, June 14, 2007  
Blogger Mabel said...

I know the corner you're talking about - I usually take that route to work as well. But I cannot have any memories of a house there last summer, since I never laid eyes on the place till this summer. To my memory all that is there is a concrete block. Funny how the world goes, isn't it? There's so much hidden even in the very simple things. Can you imagine knowing everything in the world? Suppose there were such a person, who knew every detail of every object. What an exhausting gift to have! Sometimes it's easier to drive by without a second glance.

I think I like that colorless Gatoraid best. I don't know if it even has a flavor, though it is flavored.

12:58 PM, June 17, 2007  
Blogger Andrew Stine said...

Manassas Drive? Where do you live? (and work?)

Anyway, I like to stop and take notice of my surroundings ever once in a while. It seems to ruin the point of living in the world if I never notice it.

God Bless.

12:56 PM, June 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home